Sunday, February 21, 2010

Oh the Burn

Ok, decided not to go out in the sun again. Got burned. Not all areas, mind you, only one. My knees. I mean, who gets their knees burned? Who?

The way I found out was sitting on the bed taking off my shoes and my knee itched, so I did what I do when things itch, I scratched it. Scratchy-scratch-scratch-scraaaatch. This was followed by a lot of swear words I will not repeat. (Note to self, do not scratch sunburns). Man, did that wake me up. Ouch.

Went downstairs and purchased Aloe for my burns. Oh soothing goodness, oh, lovely coolness. But man, ten minutes later, the heat was back. What is up with that, I wondered. Why does the heat stay? And all that pain? When I cook a piece of beef all to hell, it cools down rather quickly. But not me, I seem to be a knee oven at the moment. You could cook hotdogs off my skin. I will have to talk to Bill about this when I get back.

So with skin burnt, I decided to look at my PI novel and remind myself what had been written. Found myself quite caught up in the story though I will have to remember to ask Mark about planes. I hope Mark will be my go-to guy about planes as my character loves them.

However, I reached a point where I needed to do better, a part that I had been thinking about in the sun. In the old days, I would have talked this whole idea over with Margot and she would have surely given me some great advice about how my character would react and what would have more emotional impact. Well, now I have to figure that stuff out myself, even if I do think, gee what would Margot think about my character and his actions and motivations?

Ate supper downstairs but chickened out about getting my photo of my waiter (mostly due to the fact he was on the other end of the room). But he was still doing what he does, god bless him. I was attended by a very pretty girl about 5 feet tall, if that. Big eyes, big smile, kept filling my glass with wine. She will make a good wife to someone some day.

That left me thinking about how I am coping, when I am coping. No bravery involved, though. It’s sheer avoidance. Don’t think about how much you miss her. Don’t think about all the amazing things you did together but will never do again. Don’t think about how cute she was and how, for some very strange reason, she seemed to love you unconditionally. Think about your novel or the sunburn or your blog or what you will do tomorrow or anything that does not cause you pain. Buck up, old boy, clear your mind, wipe away those tears and get on with things. Just do it.

Easier, of course, said than done.

Tomorrow, I will try and hunt down the elusive seado and see if I can’t blast through a few waves. Failing that, I will definitely go for that long walk and maybe get some PI writing done. Thanks again to everyone who has read this blog and continues to encourage me. Lub ya.

2 comments:

  1. hi, my name is gord and I'm a new reader to just joe but I must say what wonderful writing you have here. You do good work kid! I bet you will get published one day :) I have to admit, I haven't burned my knees yet but it sounds quite uncomfortable. I like Aloe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Random thoughts:

    1. I'd better get a photo of that waiter! Teehee. Tell him Sheila said you had to get a pic of him.

    2. Good wife = keeping my wine glass full and waiting on you. Hhhmmpffh! Grrr. (Grin).

    3. You will need a first reader or other helpful writer type friend to mash this stuff over with. Maybe more than one since it takes 11 of us to make up for one of Margot.

    4. I've sunburnt my knees and I've had stranger body parts than knees sunburnt.

    5. Avoidance is inevitable. Its like puttiing a band-aid on and letting the wound scab over in its own good time as best it can. Then taking off the band-aid bit by bit and checking to see what the scars look like. One teeny teeny step at a time. For as long as it takes. (Forever). There's no right way to do this. Just do it your way. Lubs ya.

    ReplyDelete