Sunday, February 21, 2010

Final Thoughts Before Bed

After supper, I tried to access the internet but it wasn’t working. My first clue should have been that there was no one lurking over their laptops in the internet zone. However, I caught up on the day’s adventure, drank another lovely Americano, and took it easy.

Then, with no internet, I went back to my room to sit on my balcony, the crescent moon overhead, the sea whooshing below. Warm wind blew off the water, a happy group chanted drinking challenges near the pool and I thought, my, this is nice indeed.

A few observations before I go to bed.

I may be the only person to ever return from Mexico without a tan. I simply don’t have the patience for it. I thought I may be able to get a bit of sun wandering around downtown today but we must have spent 20 minutes outside (ok, maybe a full hour all told) but nowhere near enough for me to start to turn a golden brown. At best, parts of me are lobster red (and not a nice, even lobster red at that). *sigh*

An all-inclusive that is not full is an odd place to be at. A place like this thrives on the energy of all the people. Sure, it’s loud. Sure there are line-ups. Sure there are more people who will walk around without looking where they are going while carrying a plate of food in their hands. But, all this aside, a quiet resort is not a happy resort.

I have done about 15 -20 pages of writing on most days. This is pretty good for me. Takes between 2 and 3 hours due to my slow speed. Takes longer when I have to find photos and put the two in a blog. But it’s good to get some writing done and, hey, most of the time, I’m having fun.

As well, for fun, started a new novel. Just an outline for now but it keeps my brain occupied. It’s a high concept thriiler involving Castro’s last, dying wish, the complete destruction of the US, not planes flown into buildings, not bombers with explosives in their shoes or underwear, but a plan that strikes at the giant’s jugular, one that will bring it to its knees.

Haven’t done any writing on the PI novel, though. I still hold out hope that I will get something done to restart this project.

Lost my sunglasses yesterday and they have not turned up. I half expected the gift store to be selling them but no luck. (See, the staff pinch your glasses and then resell them to you over and over and over.. clever, eh?) Nor did I have any luck at the lost and found. I would have thought someone would turn them in, but apparently not. Hey, I said they were cool sunglasses. Clearly someone else thought that as well.

This morning I also found out what the exchange rate was. Oh, I know it’s something I should have had a handle on far earlier but every time I remembered, I wasn’t near an internet to find out. Turns out the rate is about 100 pesos to $8 can. So, my big taxi ride, $16. My big tip, $4.

Makes ya think.

However, oddly, condos are priced pretty similar to what you would see back home. $158,000 USD for 1 BR. $230,000 USD for 2 BR. Not sure if they take dogs.

Time for bed, now. Not sure how I will make tomorrow interesting.

1 comment: