Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Lazy Days



Feb 23rd, 2010

Yesterday should have been a clue. At supper, there were as many waiters as patrons. I had my wine filled as soon as I had a sip, my plate whisked away as soon as I ate my last morsel and put my fork down. At least 3 waiters came by to see if I was doing ok. then, later at night, a party (with dancers and singers and bongos and horns).

Then today, events were happening, drink carts deployed, horses parked out on the beach ready to go and happy-faced staff zipping around everywhere. My towels were moulded into cute animals. My bed was made up like a present. The first sheet of my toilet paper had been folded into a triangle.

Dunno why this started all of a sudden but, in one day, the resort changed.

And I was very happy. It was like a whole different resort.

Unfortunately, I slept in too late to get up and go off to Stone Island and play with horses so I booked that for tomorrow. As well, being middle aged and somewhat out of shape, my legs ached from yesterday’s sandy walk so I didn’t really feel like marching around town and seeing the aquarium.

Ok, dammit, I had an attack of lazy.

Not a bad thing for a vacation in the sun but not massively uninteresting for blog readers.

Ate a sandwich and selection of fruit for breakfast, then caught up on all things internetie before finally heading outside to sit in the sun for a bit. Hot, hot, hot outside.

I read and sat in the sun from 10 to Noon, then shuffled over to where something was happening. The air smelled of BBQ smoke. A table had been set up where staff hacked at coconuts. More staff manned a huge outdoor grill sheltered by a colourful tent. Waiters stood with platters topped with glasses of beer (including Sheila’s favourite waiter).

Beyond the food tents a piñata had been set up and a mob of wee little kids gathered, waiting for their chance to whack at it. Most of the kids were between 3 and 5. Cute as hell.

Now this was more like it!

I put my towel and book down, got myself a burger and a huge coconut fruit drink (not sure what the drink was but it tasted of coconut, for obvious reasons, and strong but flavourless alcohol,) and I waited for the piñata whacking to begin.

By the time I had finished the drink, my vision was blurry and the beach was pitching up and down and one of the staff had given the first child a big stick. The child was just a wee thing, the stick half again his height but he went after that piñata like his life depended on it. Yet, despite his swings, he failed to bash open the piñata.

More kids stepped forth, one so young, I swear she could barely walk. With her big hat pulled down nearly over her eyes, she did her best to swing the stick but missed more often than not. And with each miss, she stumbled and fell with great gusto. Still, she got back up, looked at her dad, then whacked away again. Very cute. I loved that little girl for not quitting.

As further entertainment, one of the staff had dressed up like a gorilla. He leapt and danced around the kids, making all sorts of apish sounds and playfully pawing at them. Then one of the staff decided it would be a good idea to tackle the gorilla in a playful manner.

The gorilla went down. Then it got ugly.

(pictures are of what my world looks like after drinking a coconut drink the size of my head, and a pinata girl.)

No comments:

Post a Comment