Friday, February 19, 2010

No Country For Old Suns


Mazatlan feb 18th 2010

Good god, where is the sun? I had thought the sun would raise my spirits but it seems the opposite is true, gloominess has made the sun disappear. Oh, well, at least there is still lots of food and drink and an internet connection. Today I will do my best to catch up.

Spent the morning doing up the blog for the 16th. Took forever to load the vids so I don’t think I will be doing too much of them. 2 hours to get some postings done and then the battery died while I was downloading another vid. *sigh*

Attempted to sit outside but it was surprisingly chilly. Finished off Brad Thor’s novel, The Apostle, which was a fast read. Basically, ex-SEAL goes to Afghanistan and performs miracles and shoots a lot of bad guys. Not much of a plot, no real twists and the outcome was not really unexpected. It was touted as a thriller but I think it was more military/action. I will want to take notes on all the weapons and equipment though as he really seemed to know his hardware (and jargon).

Then started The Road by Cormac McCarthy. Got to the passage where the son turns to the father.

What would you do if I die?
I would want to die too.
So you could be with me?
Yes. So I could be with you.
Okay.

Seems the son is the father’s whole world and it is the only thing keeping him alive. Not sure this is what I need to read right now. Made me terribly sad. Went for a long walk on the beach (in my running shoes to allow my blisters to heal) then went back inside for lunch. Fries. Salad. Salsa and chips. Pineapple juice.

Retreated upstairs to finish off yesterday’s adventures. Windy as hell outside and not much in the way of sun so, while my computer recharges, this is as good a place as any. When I’m caught up, I will go back down and get them bloggies done.

Took a nap around 3 and fell into a deep sleep. Woke up at four, groggy and unsure where the hell I was. Wind howling outside but there was a sliver of sun on my balcony so out I went like a human solar panal needing to be recharged. Found a half eaten fish on my balcony that I attributed to birds and not my neighbours. Man was it cold but when the sun came out, it was glorious. I hoped in and out as the sun came and went, but then, at about 5, all clouds fled and the sun shone.

I stood on my balcony and looked down. A large square of sand had been churned up by young men playing soccer. Another smaller square had been trampled by young kids playing the same game with smaller goal nets. Along the surf, the sea glittered in the sun and people bobbed in the waves, kids mostly but a few diehard surfers as well, waiting for the big one. Most of the lounge chairs lay scattered around the beach like a hurricane tossed them about then set them down in twos and threes and fours. Beige beach towels lolled like tongues on the lounge chairs. Small sandcastles has spouted beside of few of them.

Oddly, very few sat taking advantage of the sun. Perhaps they had given up on the day. Perhaps the smell of cooking meat and burning onions had forced them inside. Perhaps they had gone on an excursion or simply retired to their rooms to snooze.

Either way, it was a nice end to the day.

I headed down to supper and was lucky enough to get the same waiter I had the first night. 11 wine-guy. He kept me well supplied again but this time I only had 2 glasses. I had a plate of fresh cut roast beef, potatoes, onions and peppers, broccoli and a few pieces of some fish I had never heard of. Very tasty and almost healthy. Followed that up with a yummy cherry tart (in chocolate pastry), a wee bit of flan and coffee, por favour. Very good. Very happy.

This time, to combat the empty chair syndrome, I brought a book. Still reading The Road but fuck me if that kid dies in the end, I will never forgive the writer. Ever.

Afterwards, retired to my favourite internet writing spot and worked on the blogs again but dammit if I couldn’t get the videos to load, and even trying, sucked out my battery power. Read Sheila’s comments and want to thank her for them, it makes my day when people respond.

Managed to get caught up to yesterday. Now all I have to post is today but before I could do that, battery died.

Retreated back upstairs, flung open the balcony door to let in cool, fresh air and watched Spanish football. The black dog was back in his kennel, the well of sadness capped for now and, with the weather likely to be good tomorrow, I may just try to do the town tour now that my feet have recovered.

(Picture is from the late afternoon, the hotel shot from the beach)

1 comment:

  1. You are most welcome for the comments. I am reading your blogs and send you silent curses when you are a day or two behind because I can't wait to read them!

    Keep reading The Road, I think. If you can handle the sadness. I remember near the beginning of the book all I could think about was, "How can the writer possibly make a good ending to this?" He found a way. Trust.

    ReplyDelete