Tuesday, February 23, 2010

I Fear for the Future



While one child was hitting the piñata, a mob of other children had decided they were going to beat the stuffing out the gorilla. Except for stupid-ass sitcoms, I don’t think I’ve ever seen anything like it. At least ten kids leapt on the poor dude in the gorilla suit (and in this heat, you gotta know this was not a plumb job to begin with) and they were in no way gentle.

They jumped on the gorilla, punching him with full force and kicking him and one stupid ass kid with a camouflage shirt tore the gorilla’s head off. I couldn’t believe how violent the kids got or how their parents, Canadians mostly stood by and let this happen. I mean those kicks were real. Those punches, though delivered by small fists, were meant to hurt.

Holy hell.

Finally the poor guy fought to his feet, flailing his arms, and stood while the kids parted. The stupid ass kid in camouflage who stole the gorilla’s head, whacked the guy with it. I mean, wtf? The gorilla retreated as more staff intervened to make sure he got away. What a spectacle. What are the parents teaching their children?

Anyway, it wasn’t until that same stupid ass kid in camouflage (who was probably too old to be playing this game) beat the piñata senseless even though one of the staff tried to tell him his time was up. Good god, what a brat. All the kids then got to grab the candy and everyone was happy except the gorilla.

I finished my HUGE drink and forgot how to speak so I went back to my chair and fell down on it and rested for a while.

Later, stumbled into the restaurant for ice cream and cool A/C. Then up to my room to write a bit on the novel but instead ended up snoozing on the bed. When I awoke, I read on the balcony for a bit then went down for food.

Oh the gods of me losing any weight here had forsaken me. Three, count them, three dishes of shrimp, from buttery garlic shrimp to Cajun shrimp to shrimp pudding (well that’s what it looked like). Plus they were serving prime rib and garlic mash potatoes and cheesy spinach and tomatoes au gratin and I went nutso again.

Then, interestingly enough, and perhaps no coincidence, someone came around doing a survey of the resort. They had cunningly waited until I had finished my second glass of wine when they pounced. Feeling great, I gave them high marks, even writing buttery, garlic shrimp- never a bad thing. I dinged them for so-so service as it really was hit and miss, especially being by myself.

Still, smart eh? Best food ever, good entertainment today, then the survey. Very clever indeed.

Before I leave, a few people of note.

On the way down, the elevator stopped at 16 and a tall, good looking guy leapt on like he was fleeing the devil. He pounded on the door close button but before the doors could shut, a girl jumped in. Short, very pretty, hair done up in a bandana.
“You were trying to shut the doors on me,” she said, smiling.
“Nope, you know these resort elevators, they are all about efficiency. You snooze, you loose.”
She looked to me and I shrugged.
He looked at her and shook his head.
“What” she asked.
“Nothing.”
“You’re looking at my hair, aren’t you?”
“Yeah, Kirk Cobane called and wants his bandanna back.”
“You don’t like it?”
“Kirk Cobane wouldn’t like it.”
"Now I'm never taking it off."
The both laughed and locked arms. A fine couple. Nothing like a good teasing, all in fun.

The second almost renewed my faith in people. A woman sat a few tables from me, alone. She was given wine, went to get her plate and, just as she was about to sit down, someone else from behind me, asked if the woman wanted to join her. Seems her husband was sick and she would love the company.
The first woman moved her plate and glass of wine and the two seemed to hit if off like old friends, which they weren’t until that very moment. What a nice gesture, thought I, alone with my sunburnt knees.

Now I’m going to see if I can find the hockey game (assuming I have the right day).

(Pic of parents watching their kids beat a gorilla to death)

2 comments:

  1. LMAO!!!

    Your gorilla story reminds me of my day as a TMNT mascot at the TRU opening. For some reason you put a person dressed in a mascot suit in front of a group of small children, the next thing you know you've got an ugly mob of bloodthirsty little thugs. And yes their fists may be small, but they sure pack a wallop... I still have nightmares...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whatever that poor bastsrd was getting paid, obviously he may wantto re-negotiate with danger pay. Especially when paired with a Pinata :)

    ReplyDelete